Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I can count up to 47


South park has Mr. Mackey and the linguistic department at Concordia has Professor Teffeteller... Mmmokay. I don't seem to think when I register for my classes and end up taking shit like sociolinguistics. One semester I ended it up in a critical thinking class, oh that was painful. If you want to torture me, put me in a philosophy class. The worst part is, I still don't think critically.

Sociolinguistics is a really boring class for those of you who are thinking "...that could be interesting". My friend Jon likes it but that just means the next time he says "hey we should take a class together and it should be this one..." that I have to stand up and say NO, bad Jon!

Oh man... The teacher shows up to class with her two little worshipers (the two TAs) and then the fun begins. They discuss and consult each other on how they should turn on the computer and dim the lights. Fifteen minutes later, the lecture begins.

The prof likes to make sure that people understand. So, she always says Okay...?, Right...? and Yeah...? Actually, I do understand and those are called minimal responses, thanks professor. She says OK exactly like Mr. Mackey on South Park. As a fresh rookie linguist I noticed this the first class. As weeks past and I realised the class would never really get interesting I made my own fun and started counting the number of times she would say okay, right, and yeah in class. I made a section for each word on my page and I put a line down for each time she says the words. I counted 47 times for okay! Plus, I stopped counting in the middle of class because someone text messaged me.

Yeah?

3 comments:

Jeannetto said...

ahhh, school. i remember.

Sarah said...

I love you!
You're hilarious and great and I love you.

Sarah said...

Please don't get freaked out by my last comment.
I didn't mean LOVE, love you. I can live without you I swear!